1.But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine:
2 That the aged men be sober, grave, temperate, sound in faith, in charity, in patience.
3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;
Continue reading SCRIPTURE OF THE DAY (TITUS 2:1-15 “PROMOTE RIGHT TEACHING”)
1 Timothy 2:11 – Women are not to teach men in the church but are to submit and defer to male leadership (read 12, 13, 14).
1 Timothy 2:12 – I DO NOT PERMIT. Paul sell-consciously writes with the authoriy of an apostle (1 Thess 4:1; 2 Thess 3:6), rather than simply offering an opinion. This statement is given in the context of Paul’s apostolic instructions to the church for the ordering of church practice when the church is assembled together. In that context, two things are prohibited: (1) Women are not
Continue reading UNDERSTANDING WHY WOMEN SHOULD BE SILENT IN THE MEETING PLACE. BREAKING DOWN 1 TIMOTHY 2:11
The fact that God has gifted each member of the church does not mean that the church is to be without leadership. To the contrary, the NT speaks of God’s calling out leaders for His church for the building up of the body (Eph 4:11-16). The officers of a NT church are pastors (called “overseers” or “bishops” or “elders”) and deacons (1 Tim 3:1-13). These men are gifted by God and called out from the congregation to serve the church. Continue reading DEFINITION OF THE DAY (THE GOVERNMENT OF THE CHURCH)
1.But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
2. And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.
3. And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not. Continue reading SCRIPTURE OF THE DAY (2 PETER 2:1-4) THE DANGER OF FALSE TEACHERS
3. As I besought thee to abide still at Ephesus, when I went into Macedonia, that thou mightest charge some that they teach no other doctrine,
4. Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.
5. Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned:
6. From which some having swerved have turned aside unto vain jangling; Continue reading SCRIPTURE OF THE DAY (1 TIMOTHY 1:3-11: WARNING AGAINST FALSE TEACHINGS)
The teacher in Ecclesiastes has everything, yet he still manages to feel depressed and despondent. The reasons he gives for his depression are the apparent meaninglessness of life and the fact that man cannot find satisfaction or contentment. Each new day is just a repetition of all the other days that have gone before. In fact, there is nothing that is actually new, nothing that is fresh. In a restless and weary turn of phrase, the Teacher coins the well-used quote: “History merely repeats itself.” According to the Teacher’s reasoning, there is no worth to be found in doing things that have already been done and seen and experienced by other people.
Continue reading WHY SHOULD A MAN WHO HAS EVERYTHING FEEL SO DEPRESSED AND DESPONDENT? (ECCLESIASTES 1:1-11)
RABBI- (Ra’b’ bi’) Title meaning “my master,” applied to teachers and others of an exalted and revered position. During the NT period the term “rabbi” came to be more narrowly applied to one learned in the law of Moses, without signifying an official office. Continue reading DEFINITION OF THE DAY (RABBI)
False teachers add or subtract from the Bible. They often have a “revelation” that allegedly supplies new data about divine matters-data that the Bible fails to reveal, so to speak. False teachers devalue the work of Jesus Christ by making Him less than God incarnate.They twist the trust the meaning of His death or reject the truth of His resurrection. Continue reading HOW CAN A PERSON IDENTIFY A FALSE TEACHER?
Solomon, the Teacher, remarks that the increase of knowledge and wisdom only brings greater grief and sorrow. The state of affairs naturally begs the question: Why be educated? Why not live out your life in happy ignorance? Continue reading IF KNOWLEDGE BRINGS GRIEF, WHY SHOULD ANYONE BE EDUCATED?
6. Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given t us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;
7. Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching;
8. Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy, with cheerfulness. Continue reading SCRIPTURE OF THE DAY (ROMANS 12:6-13)