This verse gives us insight into a burial custom from New Testament times. A widow’s son had died, and a coffin with his body inside was being carried outside the city for burial. The woman’s friends and neighbors were walking along with her. Continue reading A FUNERAL PROCESSION
3. As I besought thee to abide still at Ephesus, when I went into Macedonia, that thou mightest charge some that they teach no other doctrine,
4. Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.
5. Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned:
6. From which some having swerved have turned aside unto vain jangling; Continue reading SCRIPTURE OF THE DAY (1 TIMOTHY 1:3-11: WARNING AGAINST FALSE TEACHINGS)
God’s creative work was not complete until He made woman. And then marriage and family became the basis of society-the central organizing unit. God could have made woman from the dust of the ground as He had mad man. God chose, however, to make her from the man’s flesh and bone. In so doing, God illustrated that in marriage man and woman symbolically become one flesh. Continue reading WHAT IS THE IMPORTANT OF MARRIAGE?
Eve enjoys the distinction of being the first woman-in all of human history. Talk about special. Continue reading WOMEN OF THE BIBLE “EVE, THE MOTHER OF HUMANKIND”
Laban was the brother of Jacob’s mother, Rebekah (Genesis 29:10). This relationship would have made Laban’s daughter Rachel-the woman whom Jacob wanted to marry-Jacob’s first cousin. Continue reading BIBLE CUSTOMS AND CURIOSITIES (MARRIAGE AMONG RELATIVES)
The disciple “James the less” is mentioned only eight times in the New Testament. Four of those times his name is in a list of the twelve apostles of Jesus. Another four times, he’s mentioned in connection with his family. Continue reading JAMES, SON OF ALPHAEUS: LESS SAID THE BETTER?
34. Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I come not to send peace, but a sword.
Continue reading SCRIPTURE OF THE DAY (MATTHEW 10: 34 & 35)
- Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.
- Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandments with promise;)
- That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.
- And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nature and admonition of the Lord.
Continue reading SCRIPTURE OF THE DAY “EPH 6:1-4”