Plant in the garden of Eden symbolizing access to eternal life. Also, a metaphor used in Proverbs. For the biblical writer the tree of life was an important consideration only after Adam and Eve disobeyed. Sin interrupted the quality of life God intended for them. They were to obey God (Gen 2:17) in a family setting (Gen 2:18-25) and perform their Continue reading DEFINITION OF THE DAY (TREE OF LIFE)
Wisdom, the opposite of ignorance, is a gift from God. It is a gift that He gladly gives to those who ask for it in all earnestness and faith (James 1:5). Real wisdom and knowledge are spiritual in nature, having to do with the inborn cunning of our common sense or the learned themes of education. “Fear of the LORD is the beginning of Continue reading IS IGNORANCE, AT ITS CORE, A SPIRITUAL PROBLEM?
Shortly after Bathsheba’s son Solomon succeeded his father David, as king of Israel, God appeared to him in a dream. In it, thing Solomon requested-wealth, long life, revenge on his enemies-God would grant him.
And Solomon replied, “You have shown great and faithful love to Your servant, my father David, because he walked before You in faithfulness, righteousness, and integrity. You have continued this great and faithful love for him by giving him a son to sit on his throne, as it is today. Continue reading MEN OF THE BIBLE (SOLOMON: GET WISDOM)
To be superior to “all the gods of Egypt” was quite a claim, since the Egyptians are known to have worshiped more than thirty pagan deities. These included the bull god Apis, who ensured fertility; Hathor, the goddess of love; and Thoth, the god of wisdom and books. Continue reading ALL THE GODS OF EGYPT
Although King Solomon was noted for his wisdom, he made some very foolish decisions. Some of his lapses in judgment would even have to be categorized as dumb mistakes and fatal sins. Continue reading SOLOMON’S SHORTCOMINGS
Before they are symbols for us, trees are examples to us. The psalm writers looked at trees and recognized that their pattern of growth and life was an expression of praise to their Creator. Psalm 96:12 declares, “Let the field and everything in them rejoice. Then all the trees in the forest will sing joyfully.” And Isaiah 55:12 says, “All the trees will clap their hands.” Trees reach upward. Even when planted crooked or sideways, a tree will bend its trunk to vertical-an amazing picture of their purpose to remind us of our own purpose to praise God always. Continue reading SIGNS AND SYMBOLS OF THE BIBLE (TREE)
15. Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints,
16. Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers;
17. That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him: Continue reading SCRIPTURE OF THE DAY (EPHESIANS 1:15-19) PAUL’S PRAYER FOR SPIRITUAL WISDOM
Solomon, the Teacher, remarks that the increase of knowledge and wisdom only brings greater grief and sorrow. The state of affairs naturally begs the question: Why be educated? Why not live out your life in happy ignorance? Continue reading IF KNOWLEDGE BRINGS GRIEF, WHY SHOULD ANYONE BE EDUCATED?
1. The King’s heart is in the hand of the LORD, as the rivers of water: he turneth it whithersoever he will.
2. Every way of a man is right in his own eyes: but the LORD pondereth the hearts.
3. To do justice and judgment is more acceptable to the LORD than sacrifice.
4. An high look, and a proud heart, and the plowing of the wicked, is sin.
5. The thoughts of the diligent tend only to plenteousness; but of every one that is hasty only to want.
Continue reading SCRIPTURE OF THE DAY (PROVERBS 21:1-12) LEARN BY LISTENING
She [wisdom] hath killed her beasts [prepared her meat, NIV]; she hath mingled [mixed, NIV] her wine; she hath also furnished [set, NIV] her table.
Continue reading WISDOM MEAL