A Pharisee asked Jesus to tell Him which commandment in the law of Moses He considered the greatest of all (Matthew 22:36). This was a trick question. No matter which way Jesus answered. He was sure to leave out some commandments that. He was sure to leave out some commandments that His enemies considered essential.Continue reading BIBLE CUSTOMS AND CURIOSITIES (THE TWO COMMANDMENTS)
1.But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
2. And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.
3. And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not. Continue reading SCRIPTURE OF THE DAY (2 PETER 2:1-4) THE DANGER OF FALSE TEACHERS
Jesus clashed often with the Pharisees during His ministry, They criticized Him for healing on the Sabbath (Luke 14:1-5), associating with people whom they considered sinners (Matthew 9:9-11), and not observing the external rituals that they considered essential for maintaining purity before God (Matthew 15:2). Continue reading BIBLE CUSTOMS AND CURIOSITIES (JESUS AND THE PHARISES)
40. Behold, I have longed after thy precepts: quicken me in thy righteousness.
41. Let thy mercies come also unto me, O LORD, even thy salvation, according to thy word.
42. So shall I have wherewith to answer him that reproacheth me: for I trust in thy word. Continue reading SCRIPTURE OF THE DAY (PSALM 119:40-45)