The Romans appear to have at least two types of whips for flogging. The more serious of the two, the flagellum, consisted of a handle with leather straps attached to it. Knots were tied into the straps with bone or sharp metal bits tied onto them. This was the device used prior to crucifixion to brutalize those condemned so severely that they would be incapable of effective resistance. There was no limit to the number of blows that could be struck, and the beating often continued until the flesh hung down in bloody strips.Continue reading EVERYDAY LIFE IN BIBLE TIMES (FLOG,WHIP,SCOURAGE PT2)
- My son, attend unto my wisdom, and bow thine ear to my understanding:
- That thou mayest regard discretion, and that thy lips may keep knowledge.
- For the lips of a strange woman drop as a honeycomb, and her mouth is smoother than oil:
- But her end is bitter as worm-wood, sharp as a twoedged sword.
- Her feet go down to death; her step take hold on hell.
- Lest thou shouldest ponder the path of life, her ways are moveable, that thou canst not know them.
- Hear me now therefore, O ye children, and depart not from the words of my mouth.
- Remove thy way far from her, and come not nigh the door of her house:
- Lest thou give thine honour unto others, and thy years unto the cruel: