Sex is such a strong instinct that it affects every other motivation and loyalty. Biologists are just now discovering how the sex drive governs social organization in animal species from monkeys to dolphins. All animals live in hierarchies, and those hierarchies govern who mate with whom. Sex affects everything.
What biologists are just discovering about animals, Hollywood entertainment producers knew long ago about people. God has ordained heterosexual monogamous marriage as the proper setting for sexual activity. This arrangement requires considerable effort. Mere sex does not require love, but love cements mutual commitment and is our best glue for enduring marriages. Yet love is fragile, and commitment is casually broken in the interests of sexual adventure. Keeping love strong and adventurism focused on one’s marriage partner is key to living by God’s power in our lives. Men cannot flit from partner to partner and hope to care anything about God or witness to this message. Women cannot service different men and hope to understand God’s will for their lives.
Spiritual power and sexual focus go hand in hand. For the single person, sexual focus means chastity. To forgo sex in obedience to God is no easier than to stay faithful throughout life to one spouse. But that’s God’s plan, and there’s no fine print or alternatives for special cases.
Today, however, a case is being made for homosexuals. Churches are wondering how to accommodate new data concerning the causes of homosexuality and new, robust claims from homosexuals that their monogamous unions deserve the church’s blessing. Many churches have accepted the fact that some individuals will feel sexually drawn to their own gender. For such people, the appropriate sexual norm is chastity.
1 THESSALONIANS 4:3-8
3. For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain form fornication:
4. That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour;
5. Not in the lust of concupiscence, even as the Gentiles which know not God:
6. That no man go beyond and defraud his brother in any matter: because that the Lord is the avenger of all such, as we also have forewarned you and testified,
7. For God hath not called us unto uncleanness, but unto holiness.
8. He therefore that despiseth, despiseth not man, but God, who hath also given unto us his holy Spirit.