The armor of God is Paul’s vivid illustration of the spiritual equipment that Christ provides to those who trust Him. These pieces of armor are essential to survival and victory in the spiritual warfare that is a real (though invisible) part of each life. Of the six pieces, the first five are protective. The only offensive piece is God’s Word, the sword. When Jesus faced temptation (Matthew 4:1-11), He answered Satan not by using clever arguments but by quoting scripture. The armor reminds us always to depend on God, not on intellectual acumen or rhetorical flourish, in standing against evil and temptation. Our protection from Satan is God’s business, yet rusty armor is no use to anyone. Keep faith vital by daily using all the armor.
EPHESIANS 6:10-17- 10. Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
11. Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
12. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
13. Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
14. Stand therefore, having your lions girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
15. And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
16. Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
17. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: