The third person of the Trinity. The Holy Spirit applies the work of Christ to each believer. During the Last Supper, Jesus described what His disciples could expect to discover about the Holy Spirit, whom they would receive shortly after His ascension. Chapters 14-16 of the Gospel of John teach that the Holy Spirit will be with believers forever. He will live with us and in us, teach us, remind us of Jesus’ words, convict us of sin, show us God’s righteousness, announce God’s judgment on evil, guide into truth, give insight into future events, and bring glory to Christ. Many people are unaware of the Holy Spirit’s activities, but to those who hear Christ’s words, the Holy Spirit gives assurance of God’s love and guidance for all of life.
- I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.
- Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.
- Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.
- Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
- I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
- If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.