- This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work
- A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach.
- Not given to wine, no stirker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous:
4. One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
5. (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?
6. Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.
NOTE: These verses are from the King James Holy Bible
- It is a true saying that if someone wants to be an elder,* he desires an honorable responsibility.
- For an eldar must be a man whose life cannot be spoken against. He must be faithful to his wife.* He must exhibit self-control, live wisely, and have a good reputation. He must enjoy having guests in his home and must be able to teach.
- He must be gentle, peace loving, and not one who loves money.
- He must manage his own family well, with children who respect and obey him.
- For if a man cannot manage his own household, how can he take care of God’s church?
- An elder must not be a new Christian, because he might be proud of being chosen so soon, and the Devil will use that pride to make him fall.*
NOTE: These verses are from the Kids Application Bible