Doors allow access to or prevent us from entering a room or home. Gates are usually more imposing and important. They guard the access to large spaces: cities, estates, and the way to eternal life. In Bible times, most cities of any size were surrounded by walls, so gates were a constant feature in people’s’ lives. No wonder, then, that the role of gates became symbolic of other values and ideas. Continue reading BIBLE SIGNS AND SYMBOLS (GATE)
24. He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings; and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father’s which sent me.
25. These things have I spoken unto you being yet present with you.
26. But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. Continue reading SCRIPTURE OF THE DAY (JOHN 14:24-28)
The third person of the Trinity. The Holy Spirit applies the work of Christ to each believer. During the Last Supper, Jesus described what His disciples could expect to discover about the Holy Spirit, whom they would receive shortly after His ascension. Chapters 14-16 of the Gospel of John teach that the Holy Spirit will be with believers forever. He will live with us and in us, teach us, remind us of Jesus’ words, convict us of Continue reading WHAT DOES THE HOLY SPIRIT DO? (JOHN 14-16)
Weddings are joy-filled and expectant events. We look forward to the couple’s new life and the starting of a new family. In biblical times, the bridegroom was ending his adolescence and taking on the responsibility of starting a family line. Continuing the family name was of utmost importance. Because of this, the bridegroom portrayed as a victor (Ps 19:5). He had won the bride through the payment of a bride-price and had earned a position of importance in the community. Continue reading SIGNS AND SYMBOLS OF THE BIBLE “BRIDEGROOM”
- Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.
- In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
- And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am there ye may be also.
- And whither I go ye know and the way ye know.
35. Jesus wept. Continue reading SCRIPTURE OF THE DAY (JOHN 11:35)
Learning new things can be hard work. Are you reading a hard book? Are you prepared for the challenge as well as the fun of learning? Do you attack your work in the same way a top athlete trains and practices? Daniel and his friends Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah (also called Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego) were in an interesting “school.” They had been taken from their homes in Jerusalem to be trained to serve in King Nebuchadnezzar’s court. They were to be educated for three years and served the royal food. But the four young Israelites refused the rich food and wine, choosing Continue reading HOW TO TACKLE A TOUGH ASSIGNMENT
- This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work
- A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach.
- Not given to wine, no stirker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous:
Lysias, who was Greek by birth, purchased his Roman citizenship (Acts 22:28), at which time, it is believed, he picked up the forename Claudius. His role as a commander in the Roman army probably put him in charge of over a thousand men. Continue reading MEN OF THE BIBLE (LYSIAS) A LOVER OF JUSTICE
The word one is used more than two thousand times in Scripture. For the most part, these are simply natural used of the number to indicate a solitary individual or item. But in several distinct instances the singular number carries special and symbolic weight. These refer, in order of importance, (1) to God’s revelation of himself as one; (2) to a characteristic of unity related to a group or nation; or (3) to a significant individual. Continue reading SIGNS & SYMBOLS OF THE BIBLE (ONE) (1)